Background

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Medical Scares

I've had some medical stuff lately and since I don't journal it's going on the blog! 

First off, about a month ago I noticed I was super tired all the time. And then I got scared I was pregnant. I got an IUD when Kayc was 6 weeks but sometimes pregnancy happens anyway. But then I had time of the month so never mind. Shortly afterwards, Jake & I decided to take out the IUD and go on the pill instead. I made an appointment and went in last Wednesday. The few days before my appointment I was SUPER nauseous in the mornings and exhausted and got nervous again. I took a test and it was negative so I felt a lot better. I mentioned it to my midwife at the beginning of my appointment and at first we figured I was just sick or something until she realized my IUD had nearly fallen out by itself. My body had "rejected" it and pushed it nearly all the way out of my cervix. My midwife gave me a prescription for birth control but said she was kinda worried I was pregnant. Yeah don't worry I was beyond panicked. That'd make our babies 15 months apart. UH NO!!! 

But good news - I'm not. Time of the month showed up so we're all clear there. To say I was scared would be a massive understatement so I'm very relieved that we aren't pregnant. And I'm grateful we decided to get my IUD out, otherwise we'd never have known we weren't technically on birth control anymore since it had fallen out. 

But I was still so tired. SOOO tired. And then I noticed all the bruises. Jake actually noticed first. He counted 8. The next day I counted 10.  No clue where they're from. I went in to the hospital today to get my blood drawn and waited 5 incredibly long hours for my doctor to call with the results. 

41,000. 

WAAAAY too low. 

If you're new to this platelet issue I have, basically a person should have 150,000 - 450,000. This is the 3rd time I've dropped below where I should. I have a condition called ITP. Each time it's happened, my doctor put me on a steroid and it fixed it but obviously only temporarily. Our plan had been to remove my spleen the last 2 times but each time the problem went away. The first time it went away for over a year. This time though, it came back after a couple months. Way too soon. 

I thought my doctor would put me on prednisone to get my count back up high and get me in to schedule surgery ASAP.

But instead, they don't want me to do anything for a week and see what happens next count. I think they're wanting to see if it'll drop more. So no meds this week and I go to the hospital Tuesday to get blood drawn. 

To be honest, I'm relieved my count dropped. I've been so tired and now we know why. I called today and got my results and the nurse accidentally gave me the wrong numbers - she said I was at 220,000 but that was my count in June. It scared me because I was pretty dang sure my count had dropped but she was saying it hadn't. But she realized she read the wrong date and called me a few hours later with the results. 

The nausea I thought was pregnancy is actually from another medication. I'm grateful I'm not pregnant, that we figured out the birth control issue. If I have to get my spleen out I can't be pregnant. And I don't want to take prednisone while pregnant. And I'm grateful my count dropped again this year. We've met our out of pocket max for the year, so my surgery will literally be free if we have it this year. 

I'm REALLY hoping for that reason I get the surgery done. But I'm also super nervous about being away from Kaycee that long and having someone else have her for those few days. I'm worried her schedule will be messed up and then she'll stop sleeping through the night once I'm home from the hospital and I won't get the rest I need to recover so Jake will have to get up with her but he has work and yeah I'm stressed, can you tell? For Kaycee's sake, I really hope I don't have to have it but I'm pretty sure I'll need to. 

Especially since my count dropped so fast. I can't believe after just a couple months of no meds it already dropped that much. 

I can still work out and brush and floss my teeth and stuff, so it's not at the dangerous point. They just said don't hike a mountain and fall off or anything crazy. So going to try to be as normal as I can for the next week and see what happens next week. 

I'll make sure to keep y'all posted as I find anything out. Kinda scary but at the same time I feel really blessed that things are playing out the way they are. Heavenly Father really is showing his hand in my life and I'm eternally grateful. 

2 comments:

  1. that is so crazy! I'm glad you found out what was going on. please keep us updated and let me know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so scary Ashley!! I hope everything gets figured out soon. It's awful to feel so tired all the time. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete