Background

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

BYU vs Utah

This past weekend was the BYU vs Utah game! Last one until 2015!! And after last year's slaughter {final score 54-10}, I REALLY wanted to win this game!!! So that meant my superstitions went into full swing. Cleaned the house SUPER well, kept everything tidy all week, worked out EVERY day, paid a few bills early, etc. I kept thinking "I have lost 70 ish pounds since the last time they played, we are in a totally different financial situation, I just got a new job - things will be different this year because I have accomplished A TON!". Yeah, my superstitions are ridiculous but they help me to get things done because I get stressed we won't win if I am not super on top of things! 

Game day arrived and superstitions started first thing - I made sure to sleep in BYU pajamas and not wear ANYTHING red all week long. 

Rocking my BYU pants and Bank shirt while I cleaned the house
Then I went for my run. I had decided to give myself the day off from working out and then I got worried that we might not win if I didn't work out so I got dressed for my run.

BYU hat & T shirt on my 3 mile run. Max was rocking his blue harness and blue leash. We gotta represent! 
After I got back from my run, I put the BYU flag up in the front yard and put the flags on the car. Seriously - there wasn't ANYONE who wondered if we were BYU fans haha. I hurried and showered and got ready to go to Brynne & Blake's for the football party.

My new BYU shirt - it's a women's BYU shirt. I don't have to wear guy ones anymore - I can fit into GIRL ONES!!!  
New hoodie over my new BYU shirt. Same thing - it's a women's hoodie. BOOM BABY!! 
We got to Brynne & Blake's about an hour late - I seriously lost track of time. We got there just as Blake was finishing the BBQ and we ate dinner and talked in the backyard before Brynne & Blake left for the adult session of Stake Conference. Aren't they such good examples?! While they were gone, we played games in the backyard because the weather was PERFECT. And their grass is SO soft and the house faces west so the shade was in the backyard and it was just amazing. I seriously LOVE fall! We played a few thinking games involving professional football teams and chocolate bars and then threw around a football. Then Brynne & Blake got home and we got ready for kick off!!

Popper & her bestie Sam getting ready for the game to start
Jeannene & me so excited for the game to start! 
Brynne putting away the last of dinner stuff - already changed out of her dress and into her BYU shirt 
Brynne & me - I seriously love my sister!! 
All the sisters, ready to cheer on our Cougars!
Another picture of the 4 of us 
Popper & Sam got ahold of my phone and took this LOVELY picture! 
Showing how tough we are!
Brynne & Blake - he wasn't wearing his BYU shirt yet so Brynne covered up the logo on his shirt haha
I love these two!! 
Jake & my dad ready for the game to start
Blake setting up the surround sound
Jake & I sat on the LoveSac the entire game - we really miss ours! 
He worked the night before {ended up working 51 hours that week} and was really tired but he still came! LOVE HIM!! 
We are SO tough!!
Smiling right before kick off 
I took this picture at half time but I love how serious everyone looks. That's how we ALL looked throughout the entire 3rd quarter.
At half time the score was 7-7. We had made a few mistakes but nothing awful, just a LOT of false starts by the linemen. And then the 3rd quarter happened. And we apparently didn't come out of the locker room or something - we played AWFUL! At one point, the score was 17-7 and we were on around the 20 yard line, getting ready to score a touchdown and close the gap to 3 points. The center snapped the ball before Riley Nelson had called for it and it flew past him. He and Alisa {number 42} went to recover the ball and one of them tried to pick the ball up {BAD IDEA} and it popped out and a Utah defensive player picked it up and ran it in for a touchdown. Yeah that was depressing to say the least. We were all F R E A K I N G out - BAD.

But then we started to get it together. We scored a touchdown, bringing it to 24-14. And then we held the Utes and they had to punt. And we scored another touchdown!! And the Utes had a hard time converting that drive - we sacked them and they ended up having to punt with only about a minute left. We were SCREAMING and freaking out like crazy people, except Jake who is ALWAYS really calm during intense moments. And we had no time outs. We converted on 3rd or 4th down and made it barely into field goal range - it was going to be an ETERNAL field goal. So we decided to try one more play. We threw it and it was incomplete, the clock ran out. Or so the crowd thought.

The Ute fans stormed the field, and the ref's called it a game but Riley and Bronco kept saying that there was still 1 second left. So they went back to watch the final play and sure enough - the ball hit the ground with 1 second left on the clock. The refs announced it wasn't over yet and we were SCREAMING - we had one more chance!! They got all the fans off the field and brought out the kicking team. We kicked it and it was blocked - JD Falslev picked it up and tried to run it in for a touchdown but he got tackled before he got there. And the fans stormed the field AGAIN. This time though, they stormed the field as soon as the kick was blocked, not when JD was finally tackled.

So the game ends, says it is Final, but there is a flag on the ground. So after like 5 minutes of the refs talking and reading the rule book, they got a live ball foul on the fans. ON THE FANS! Greatest moment of my life!! Because they came onto the field before the play was over, the Utes got a 15 yard penalty and we got 1 final play. So they cleared the fans off the field AGAIN and we lined up for our field goal.

It was a 34 yard attempt because we got 15 yards thanks to the fans and then we missed. WE MISSED! After all those chances!! WE MISSED!!! GAHH!! Bounced right off of the left upright. SO freaking depressing. Blake and Nate {one of his old roommates} were vocally upset - the rest of us were just stunned silence. It was so depressing!!! Brynne thought it had gone in, so she didn't understand why the rest of us weren't super excited about overtime. But yeah we lost. And the fans stormed the field again. 3rd time is the charm apparently.

We took a few more pictures and then took my dad home while we listened to the post game show.

LOVE this picture, even though we just lost. Love how sexy we look in our BYU gear haha
Nate & Blake getting ready to punch something, or cry, or both.
The girls with my dad - all rocking our BYU gear {my dad had a  BYU hat on}
The post game was really helpful. I used to hate listening to the post game when we lost, but it helped me focus on all the little things we did to mess up, not just that final play. In my opinion, we deserved to lose. Utah didn't deserve to win, but their defense really gave us a hard time and our offense just did not show up. But their best receiver was out all game and they had to play their 2nd string QB because Jordan  Wynn got hurt the week before and is now a coach for the Utes instead of a player.  And if we can't win under those circumstances, we don't deserve to win the game. Wish we could have won - they have won 8 of the last 11 meetings but oh well.

The next day I saw this on Facebook and couldn't help taking a screen shot of it - totally made my day!!


Well, hopefully we can beat them in basketball. Not that it matters. It all comes down to football. But we still have 9 more games this season and we look really good so hopefully we make a decent bowl game, despite this heart breaking loss. And at least they didn't kill us 54-10 again like last year!! 

No matter what though, I am still a Cougar - even if Cougar isn't cool. 

1 comment:

  1. Lol Ashley you make me laugh with all your superstitions!! And dang you look GOOD in that BYU shirt! I love that the game is a huge family thing in your family. Sorry you lost :( that FB quote is pretty true lol I actually applied to and got into BYU but chose UVU....(don't hate me!) I miss you! It was good seeing you for like 2 seconds today!

    ReplyDelete