Background

Sunday, June 16, 2013

This one's for you, baby

It's June 7, the day before my half marathon.

After I finished my first half marathon at the end of October last year, I knew I wanted to do another one. I picked this one, just because it was a similar course, and registered the same day I finished my last race. Sore, blistered and exhausted, I knew I wanted to do it again.

I had an awesome friend tell me she wanted to do one with me, but was trying to get pregnant and was worried about what happened if she got pregnant before the race. I told her that we were trying too and that we could just be prego ladies doing it together! What she DIDN'T tell me was that she was already pregnant, or pretty dang close at the time, so now she is too far along to do this race with me. Athina, we will do a race together after we have our babies :)

When we were in St George at the end of March, I had this feeling that we might get pregnant soon and that I'd be able to do my half marathon knowing I was pregnant. I had this image in my head of wearing Jake's GoPro and filming the whole thing as I talk to the baby through the whole thing about how awesome we are for doing a half marathon. And that feeling of knowing that even though I am pregnant, I did a half marathon.

And I have NOT prepared for this half marathon in the least. And I think that is because I just knew I'd be pregnant and I wouldn't be running. I don't know how else to explain it, but I JUST KNEW I would be pregnant before this race happened. And I am! Thank heavens haha because there is no way I could jog 13.1 miles. I am ok with not setting a PR if I am pregnant, but if I wasn't pregnant and was just too lazy to train and got a slower time than last time I would be mad at myself.

I've had a few people express concern over me doing my half even though I am pregnant. First off, I am only 9/10 weeks pregnant {depends if you go off of original due date or about to be changed due date} - it's not like I am 39 weeks and ready to pop any second. Second, I plan to walk the ENTIRE thing. Who can't walk 13 miles? It isn't a race for me. I'd LIKE to be done in 4 hours so that I can get a medal. That is the equivalent of walking at a 3.3 on the treadmill. I KNOW I can do that. That's not fast at all. Third, I got my nurse midwives approval. And last but certainly not least, because I am a different person than I was 2 years ago and my baby is NEVER going to know the old me.

The me that couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without feeling winded.

The me that couldn't tie my shoes without breaking a slight sweat.

The me that didn't own a pair of walking/running shoes.

The me that couldn't buy clothes in a "regular" clothing store.

The me that Jake couldn't fit his arms around when he'd give me a hug.

The me that would eat an entire pizza by myself and still kinda be hungry.

The me that hated myself.

This baby is going to know the NEW me. 

The me that loves Turbo, more than almost anything in the world.

The me that has a slight addiction to new, florescent Nikes.

The me that could knock back a bag of carrots and a container of hummus and not realize it.

The me that wears single digit pants.

The me that will turn on music and randomly dance around the kitchen while cooking.

The me that will be playing right along side them in the park.

The me that loves this person I've become.

Goal is to complete it as close to 3 hours as possible. My last half, I did it in 2 hours 35 minutes. And that was when I was pretty close to the best shape of my life. So 3 hours is only 25 minutes slower, and I am not in as great of shape right now {sleep deprivation > desire to exercise} and I'm pregnant. I'll be thrilled with 3 hours!

Pictures to come soon!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment