Background

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Wasn't Expecting This...

For the first time EVER, I am starting to be grateful that Jake works the night shift.

I can't believe I just said that.

Why, you may ask?

Because I sleep with so many pillows that there isn't enough room in our queen size bed for 2 people.

So it's really nice that we sleep at different times.

And that totally sucks at the same time.

I've never been able to sleep next to my husband for more than a week at a time - and that was when he took a week off work for vacation. Someday, we are hoping he will go to day shift and we can sleep at the same time 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year and get sick of how the other one snores or hogs blankets. I am hoping that "someday" will be before Kaycee makes her appearance into the world. Sleeping during the day is SOO hard anyway, let alone if I am home all day and there is a baby crying in the other room. Jake won't EVER sleep and I don't want his health to become affected or anything.

But for right now, it's a good thing he doesn't sleep the same time as me.

I sleep with 4 pillows right now. Kind of in a square shape - one for my head and neck, one on each side of me and one between my knees. The 2 pillows on the sides are "king" size pillows so they are nearly body pillow sized pillows. And ever since I started sleeping with all these pillows, it has made a huge difference in my hip pain.

Sometime last week, I realized I was having pretty severe hip pain, especially right after I woke up. And because of how far along I am, I pretty much can only sleep on my hips. Which makes them hurt worse. Which is awesome. Not. After using my go-to resource Google, I realized that hip pain is REALLY common during pregnancy. I had no idea. That's because your body has a hormone called Relaxin that makes your hips move apart so it's "easier" to give birth when it's time. Well, I KNOW that my body is making that hormone in LARGE quantities - my hips are like separating continents. They are moving WAY far apart from each other, which feels weird because it's what made my jeans stop fitting so fast, even though I hadn't gained any weight at the time. And this lovely hormone is making me feel like my hips slide out of socket when I sleep, which is possible considering how they are softening and all that jazz.

So sleeping on all these pillows is helping IMMENSELY! Just makes the weekends hard when we need 2 people to be able to sleep in the bed. I called my nurse midwife and explained the situation on their on-call voicemail, just to make sure this is all "standard" and not something to be overly concerned about. Good times. I had no idea that sleep would become something I kinda dread so early. I LOVE TO SLEEP! And I have been relatively tired this pregnancy. But sleeping isn't something I look forward to now, since I am in so much pain. But like I said, the pillows seem to be helping. And Miss Kaycee, you are TOTALLY worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment